- retrieve the seeds of the pomegranate and slightly crush with a mortar & pestle, use a vegetable peeler to remove thin strips of orange and lemon zests and and cut the ginger into thin slices
- grate the nutmeg and coarsely crack or crush the spices and berries in a mortar & pestle
- in a 500 ml mason jar, combine the crushed pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries or cherries, spices, orange and lemon zests, bay leaves and pour the vodka on top until it covers everything, shake well and close tightly
note : if you’re patient, simply place the jar in a cool and dark place for 2 weeks, shake it up occasionally until you’re ready to strain it and reduce it down, but if you’re rushed, move on to the next instruction …
- place the mason jar in a larger pot, fill with water until just below the lid (directly under the rubber seal) and heat until the water starts simmering (alcohol boils at 78,5°C, water at 100°C) then lower heat to low and let simmer at 78°C (just below the boiling point of alcohol) for another 20-30 minutes (little frothy white bubbles will start appearing inside the mason jar)
note : the water will start simmering after 10 minutes, the little frothy bubbles inside the jar with the alcohol will start appearing after another 10 minutes and you should keep simmering it for another 10 minutes minimum
- turn off the heat and let cool down
- strain the mixture well and several times using a sieve and cheesecloth (or coffee filter), transfer to a small saucepan and simmer gently until reduced to half.
note : you will have aprroximately 200 ml of liquid, then you will reduce it to 100 ml (to boil off the excess alcohol and deepen the colour and flavours)
- when cooled, transfer to a smaller bottle and refrigerate
- pour 1 tsp of aromatic bitters directly in the glass (or on a sugar cube) with sparkling water, tonic water, apple cider, sparkling wine/champagne or in a cocktail (with or without ice).
did you like ? share it !
Comments ? Questions ? Send me an email using the contact section below !