- wash the zucchini, cut off the blossom ends and use a mandoline slicer to slice them lengthwise, about 2-3 mm thick
- lay paper towels in a dish, sprinkle the totality of the zucchini slices with 1 tbsp salt on both sides and then lay them in the dish and add paper towels between each single layer and finally place a heavier dish on top to weigh them down and let rest for 30 minutes maximum, then remove the paper towels from the zucchini slices and reserve
- preheat the oven to 200°C
- place baking paper on 2 large baking sheets, brush the baking paper with some olive oil, then lay the zucchini slices on top in a single layer, brush the tops with olive oil too and roast both baking sheets at the same time for 10-12 minutes maximum, then remove and let cool down completely (the roasted zucchini slices should weigh 500 grams)
- use a fork to prick the bottom of the unbaked pastry shell and pre-bake the quiche shell in a 20-22 cm baking dish with baking paper, for 5-7 minutes at 200°C, then remove and let cool down completely
- combine the beaten eggs with the crème fraîche and salt and pepper and half of the chopped fresh herbs and set aside
- sprinkle the bottom of the crust with ¾ cup of the grated cheese and half of the fresh chopped herbs and pour 1 cup of the crème fraîche and egg mixture on top
- sprinkle some cheese on the zucchini strips and start loosely rolling one zucchini strip and then keep adding more zucchini strips around it, to create a thicker roll, and set in the middle of the quiche, then loosely wrap more zucchini strips around it to fill up the quiche
- collect any remaining cheese and sprinkle on top and finally pour the remaining crème fraîche and egg mixture inside the filled pastry shell and tap several times on the counter to redistribute the creamy filling
- preheat the oven to 190°C
- bake the quiche for 35-40 minutes on the middle or lower rack until golden and puffy, then place the baking dish directly on the floor of the oven and bake for another 5 minutes (to crisp up the bottom), then remove from the oven and let cool down
- *note : quiches are better when cooked ahead, cooled down and then warmed up again …
- lift out the quiche by using the baking paper flaps and reheat if necessary at 190°C for 10-15 minutes and then slice
- serve the warm slices with a green salad.
did you like ? share it !
Comments ? Questions ? Send me an email using the contact section below !