- heat your oven to 200°C (395°F) with the rack in the middle
- lay or roll out your two thin puff-pastry sheets and cut into two squares or rectangles (mine each measured 22x22cm or 9x9 inches)
- cover two baking sheets with waxed-paper and brush oil or melted butter on each
- place each square on each oiled/buttered wax-paper sheet and place both in the refrigerator to chill for 5 minutes
- crack your walnuts, save some half-kernels for your garnish and coarsely grind or pulse the rest
- beat the egg and reserve some about (1/4) for the egg-milk wash later
- add the whisky to the remaining beaten egg
- remove one puff-pastry square from the refrigerator
- brush the top surface of puff-pastry square or rectangle with the egg-whisky mix
- sprinkle 2/3 or the ground walnuts all over the surface
- sprinkle the crumbled roquefort cheese on top of the ground walnuts
- add some sea salt and ground pepper
- remove second puff-pastry square from the refrigerator and also brush with egg-whisky mix
- flip it over, upside-down and align it onto the first sheet with the cheese and walnuts (the egg-whisky part is now on the Inside)
- with a piece of waxed-paper, press down or use a rolling pin to flatten it out a bit
- cut the sandwiched puff-pastry sheets into long strips and/or cut across the middle to divide into shorter strips
- space them out a bit and brush the top of each strip with the egg-milk wash
- press one walnut half-kernel on one end and sprinkle the remaining ground walnut on the other end (or both ends)
- place the baking sheet in the oven for 20-30 minutes and rotate once half-way through
the roquefort filling will ooze out of the sides because each strip wasn’t sealed, gather the melted cheese with a pastry brush and brush the middle parts of each strip for an additional cheesy crusty topping !
- remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes
- serve warm or reheated at 165°C (330°F) for 5 minutes
did you like ? share it !
Comments ? Questions ? Send me an email using the contact section below !