- wash and slice your potatoes and place them in a bowl of cold water with 1 tbsp salt and let sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse and pat dry
- preheat your oven to 200°C and toss the sliced potatoes with the olive oil, salt, pepper, dried herbs and semolina
- lay out your potatoes on a piece of waxed paper on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes until golden and crispy (turn them over half-way through)
- chop up your bacon into thin strips and fry and then toss in cut-up bread with some olive oil, crushed garlic, ground pepper and herbs, until toasted
- clean your mussels and chop up the shallot, celery, parsley and garlic
- in a large casserole, toss in the chopped up vegetables and white wine and then the mussels
- cover and let boil for 5 minutes until the shells open up
- remove the mussel meat from the shells and keep a few in the shells for garnish, put aside in a bowl with some of the broth
- strain and reserve 1/2 cup of the mussel-wine broth (for the bechamel-cheese sauce)
- melt the butter in a small casserole, add flour and whisk until golden and creamy
- add the milk and mussel-wine broth, add 1/8 cup more white wine (or beer) and keep wisking until it thickens, add the garlic and spices and cheese and keep stirring until creamy and adjust to your taste, add sour cream if you like
- remove the oven-baked fries from the oven and place in two large bowls
- add the croutons and bacon bits, drain the mussels and add to the dish and pour the bechamel-cheese sauce on top
- garnish wish some fresh parsley and a few mussels (still with the shells on)
did you like ? share it !
Comments ? Questions ? Send me an email using the contact section below !