pizza dough (for more precise & detailed information on pizza doughs, click here) :
- begin 12-24 hours before by making the dough : combine the dry dough ingredients together (flours, salt) and set aside and combine the liquid ingredients together (water, sugar, olive oil, whey or buttermilk and dried instant yeast) and stir well, then combine both liquid and dry ingredients together and stir until shaggy, then knead with your hands for 3 minutes, place back inside the bowl, cover, let rest for 15 minutes, then knead again for 3 minutes until smoother and elastic, sprinkle a flat bottomed container with flour and the ball of dough too, cover and let rise until at least doubled in size (18 hours in the refrigerator and 6 hours at room temperature or 9 hours in the refrigerator and 3 hours at room temperature)
feta-yogurt cream sauce :
- strain the greek yogurt with a cheesecloth in a strainer over a bowl until it loses 20%-25% of its weight in whey water (initial weight 125-150 grams, final weight 100-110 grams) for 6 hours (if you strain the yogurt before making the dough, you can use all the whey water in the dough)
- place the strained yogurt and the rest of the ingredients of the feta-yogurt cream sauce in a food processor and blend until smooth, reserve in the refrigerator (it will become greener in color and saltier but it will be balanced out by the other toppings)
- slice the spring onions (green onions or scallions) and transfer to a bowl or jar and soak in pickling juice at room temperature for 6 hours (if you don’t have pickling juice, combine white wine vinegar or distilled vinegar with 2 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp sugar and some peppercorns, heat up then let cool before using and soaking the spring onions)
- strain the sliced onions very well and pat dry to remove all excess moisture and toss with the fresh whole herbs and lemon zest and set aside
- all ingredients should be at room temperature for at least 2 hours before assembling (so remove everything from the refrigerator earlier)
- preheat the oven to 230°C, remove the rack because the pizza will be baked directly on the oven floor
- use a very large pizza dish (40 cm) and sprinkle with flour (regular and toasted flour) and cornmeal, transfer the dough to the pizza dish and open up and stretch out until larger than the dish and create a 2-3 cm edge, then re-shape to the size of the dish, right up to the edge
- spread the feta-yogurt sauce on top, then add the tossed spring onions and fresh herbs and cover with the shredded or grated cheese (feel free to drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil on top)
- bake directly on the bottom or floor of the oven for 17-18 minutes until the dough is crispy and the cheeses are bubbling (if your oven can be set to 250°C for quicker & hotter baking, then bake for only 12-13 minutes).
- remove from the oven, let cool slightly (it’s great cold too), slice and serve.
did you like ? share it !
Comments ? Questions ? Send me an email using the contact section below !