- combine the warm water, room temperature buttermilk, sugar, yeast and melted butter together and let sit for 5 minutes (it will begin to froth)
- combine the flour and salt, add the liquid mixture and knead at low speed for 10 minutes
- place the dough in a well-oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size
- very generously flour your work surface, empty dough on top, sprinkle flour on the dough fold it over itself 3 times, flour your rolling pin too and flatten out to a rectangular size, approximately 45 x 25 cm and 2 cm thick
- form the edges of the large piece of dough so that they are rectangular and cut into 18-20 pieces (approximately 15 cm x 5 cm each)
- separate the dough pieces, reshape with your hands (that you also sprinkled flour on) and re-flour the pieces on all sides, place on 2 large baking sheets (or in 2 large roasting dishes) with baking paper, about 2-3 cm apart and brush on top with the egg-milk wash and sprinkle with the seeds too (if you do it later, they will deflate and flatten)
note : once the buns are cut and shaped, you can freeze them and when hardened, store them in freezer bags until you need them, simply defrost and let rise again !
- cover loosely and let rise again for 1 or 1½ hours or until almost double in size
note : sometimes because of the weather/temperature/humidity, the buns can spread out too much (too large & too flat), if this is the case, then separate them, reform them again (with your hands covered in flour), squeeze the sides inwards to the desired shape and wait for the buns to rise again for 30 minutes …
- preheat oven to 210-220°C for 15 minutes until hot
- bake the hotdog buns for 10 minutes, rotate the baking dish and bake for another 10 minutes, then remove the buns from the baking dishes, spray the oven and the buns with water and let bake directly on a rack for another 4-5 minutes (the water vapor will help to crisp the exterior crust)
- remove from oven, slice/split partly in half when still warm and use with your hotdogs, sausages, etc …
did you like ? share it !
Comments ? Questions ? Send me an email using the contact section below !